BombshellBooks

Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Guarded

Guarded - Kim Fielding I'm too exhausted at the moment to write a full review, but I just wanted to say that Fielding is one of the most skilled "world builders" I have come across in a really, really long time; I buy into every sight, sound, smell, scrap of clothing, and faux-historical fact that she puts to paper. It's this ability to create a sense of realism in a completely fictional world that has made her an absolutely insta-buy author for me.

And though I enjoyed the heck out of the setting, the characters' rich back stories, and the gooey epilogue that gave me the grand romantic gesture and the HEA that I craved, I have to be honest... I spent about 85% of this novella wondering why someone who had the heart and strength of character as Volos would want anything to do with Berhanu. I mean, pretty is as pretty does (and this particular pretty had been a royal prick to Volos for years before this story began. YEARS!). Admittedly, Fielding did convincingly explain her character's motivations and actions at the tail end of the story (so that I at least came to understand better where Berhanu was coming from), but by then most of the damage had been done.

*shrugs*

Meh. My displeasure with this type of arrogant MC is definitely a matter of personal preference and shouldn't deter anyone from reading this otherwise AWESOME story.

As always, my thanks to the author for participating in the Love's Landscapes event and for all of the behind-the-scenes work that editors, beta readers, and the MM Group Mods put into making this FREE event a massive success!