BombshellBooks

Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Sixty Five Hours

Sixty Five Hours - N.R. Walker *** 3.5 Stars ***

Cameron Fletcher and Lucas Henley are both top executives for the world-renowned Fletcher Advertising agency. Cameron is the boss's son with a bit of a chip on his shoulder and a lot to prove. Lucas is a new hire and a total hotshot. From the moment they first meet, closeted Cameron and out-and-proud Lucas rub each other the wrong way (fyi, I am dying to make a hand job joke here!), but when a last minute opportunity to design an ad campaign for a massive lifestyle brand falls into their laps (must... refrain...), the two men are forced to work together to come up with something brilliant in just sixty-five hours. Spoiler alert: they do.

Honestly, I enjoyed Sixty Five Hours right off the bat. Lucas's casual, straight-forward, snarky first-person narration immediately lured me into the story and made it feel like I was drinking wine outta a Big Gulp and talking smack about other people with my BFF. It was easy, it was relatable, and I thought that it drove the novel forward at a good clip.

I loved both main characters. Cam and Lucas were both smart, sexy, talented, confident, charming individuals that treat those around them with affection and respect. What's not to love about that?! And the UST! Oh, the UST (Unrelieved Sexual Tension) between these two was so thick you could practically cut it with a knife. I loved every sexually-charged minute of it. Walker knows how to write the hell out of sweet, sexy characters. She gave the couple plenty of steamy moments, but I gotta say that my favourite parts of the story were the quieter "just us" moments that sparked between Cam and Lucas - I just couldn't help sighing to myself like a lovesick fool. So. Dang. Cute.

The whole story was adorable from beginning to end, but my favourite part was actually Tobias' Outtake after the novel was officially finished. In every gay-for-you or out-for-you novel, there comes that moment when the character either decides to leave or is forced out of the closet. Even when I know that I'm reading a light and fluffy story and that everything is likely to be okay, I find these moments very stressful - you just never know for sure how the person the character is coming out to will react. That's why I really liked that readers were able to view Cam's coming out through his father's eyes as well. It was a really special moment, and getting to experience it twice was certainly no hardship.

The book is self-published, so yes, there are a few grammar errors and typos throughout (including a glaring one on the book's cover), but the author has clearly put a lot of time and effort into providing her readers with a cute, free story, so just do me a favour when you read it, would ya? Let it go and enjoy the characters and the story - you won't be sorry that you spent a couple of hours with these two modern Mad Men. ;)

Ms. Walker, I tip my imaginary hat to you.