BombshellBooks

Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Unexpected Daddy

Unexpected Daddy - Brenna Lyons Firstly, I have to give major kudos to whoever designed this cover. It's moody and sexy and sweet all at the same time (just look at their hands entwined in the lower right corner!) and I just friggin' adore it! This cover promised me a fabulous story.

However, it didn't take me long to realize that the story was not going to live up to this cover.

I mean, it was okay, but everything about it was kinda middle of the road. It wasn't particularly sweet, or funny, or angsty, or dramatic (though it had some of all of these attributes in small doses). It just kinda... was. Geoff and Joey were both likable enough, but I didn't end up falling for either of them and caring about what happens to them the way that I usually do when reading a short story or novel. And, I can't lie: the May-December aspect of this romance felt a little icky given that Geoff kept calling Joey "kid" (note to authors: this is a decidedly un-sexy nickname for one dude to give to a dude he wants to screw into oblivion). The plot was interesting enough (if not wholly original), the dialogue was serviceable (if not particularly witty or engaging), and I guess I'm glad - for Abby's sake - that they all got their happily ever after, but this isn't a story that I'd ever re-read or recommend to my friends.