BombshellBooks

Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Backstage Pass

Backstage Pass - Olivia Cunning She snorted derisively. “How many times have I heard that same old song?”

He kissed her cheek tenderly. Her jaw. “Never. No one’s heard the songs we make together. We write them as we go….”

*** 4.5 ‘We’re Not Worthy! We’re Not Worthy!’ Molten Hot Rock Stars ***

This book hooked me in the first couple pages and just would not let go! I’m serious… As I turned page after page, the book got hotter and hotter, and the hour got later and later. The next thing I knew, it was 5am and all my wonderful intentions of being productive today had gone right out the window. Oh well! Can’t say I’m sorry to see ‘em go; this book was totally worth it!

Backstage Pass is the first book in Olivia Cunning’s Sinners on Tour series which – oh, so aptly - follows the lives and loves of a fictional rock band, the Sinners, as they tour the United States with their latest album.

When we first meet them, Brian, Trey, Jace, Sed, and Eric are sitting in a hotel lounge, drunk off their collective asses and annoying the hell out of the hotel’s other patrons – a bunch of stodgy, middle-aged college professors in town for a conference. Except one of those professors is just a little less stuffy than all the rest… Dr. Myrna Evans has her PhD in Sexology. Well… okay, so it’s actually called human sexual psychology (or something like that). Myrna considers herself one of the Sinners’ biggest fans (she even uses their music in her teaching), so when she recognizes the band members at her hotel, she can’t resist going over to say ‘hello.’ But the band’s lead guitarist and hopeless romantic, Brian “Master” Sinclair takes one look at Myrna and falls for her HARD.

Myrna and Brian were both great leading characters!

Myrna is the very definition of why you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover; on the surface she’s a bold, intelligent, sophisticated professional woman with strong opinions, a bit of cheek, and a need to nurture. But go down a couple of more layers and her sensual soul and natural inclinations are fighting a massive lack of self-confidence stemming from the shit storm that was her previous marriage. I loved the complexity of this character.

What can I say about Brian except that the only thing better than a bad boy rock star is a romantic bad boy rock star! He's the perfect combination of sweet and cocky. Pair that with crazy talent, a couple of insecurities, and a body to die for, and you've got yourself the makings of a truly fabulous leading man!

I really loved the whole role reversal thing that Cunning had going on in this novel. Usually it’s the woman that falls the fastest and the hardest, and the wounded, commitment-phob hero has to struggle to catch up. But in Backstage Pass, it’s Myrna who wants a no strings attached affair, while Brian is struck dumb by love almost instantly. It definitely made for some interesting dynamics!

And the chemistry between them?! Holy shit! It was like watching a supernova explode. I’m pretty sure that the scene in which Brian starts writing music all over Myrna’s naked body in the middle of sex is going to go down in history as one of the most insanely sexy things I’ve ever read. My response was… well, let’s just say “less than dignified.” Fair warning to other readers: When you get to this first scene, you might want to make sure you have either your actual boyfriend or your battery operated one close by! ;)

As if Myrna and Brian weren’t enough reason to love this book, I can easily give you four more: Trey, Jace, Sed, and Eric. I mean… These guys! Every last one of ‘em is a kinky, depraved freak (circle sucks?! REALLY?!), but I LOVED that about them. Every time there was a scene with one of them I ended up simultaneously laughing and fanning myself vigorously. I can’t wait to read each other their stories! (No, I literally can’t wait; I’m queuing up Rock Hard as we speak).

This book was so much friggin’ FUN to read! There were only two things that irked me about it (and they are both relatively minor in the grand scheme of things). The first was that when it came to Brian and Myrna’s BDSM bedroom games, I felt like Cunning was a bit like a kid let loose in a candy story – all desire, with zero impulse control. She threw EVERYTHING at Myrna (and therefore the readers) as fast as humanly possible and it was a little disorienting. In all honesty, I would have preferred her leaving the BDSM stuff alone until Jace’s story.

Secondly, though I felt like the first three-quarters of the novel sped by in a haze of phenomenal, rabbit-like sexy times, the ending was a little lackluster. It was subtle, but about the time that Myrna’s ex-husband, Jeremy, showed up, Cunning’s writing style changed slightly. It got a little less vivid (if that’s a thing). I guess that scene wasn’t as angsty or violent as I was expecting from that type of confrontation, so I felt a tad let down. And after that point the writing, pacing, and dialogue seemed just ever so slightly awkward.

But as I said, both of those things were pretty small criticisms and did nothing to dim my overall enjoyment of Backstage Pass. This is an awesome, way-WAY-over-the-top sexy read.

Verdict: Have you read this one yet? No?! What the HECK are you waiting for, an engraved invitation?! Do it. DO IT NOW!*

*Yes, shouty caps were truly necessary.