BombshellBooks

Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Blame It On The Mistletoe

Blame It On The Mistletoe - Eli Easton Blame it on the Mistletoe was everything I could have hoped for from a Christmas novella! It was sweet, funny, and had just the right amount of cheesy Hallmark holiday sentiment to keep an idiotic grin on my face the entire time I was reading it. :)

Fielding (who I couldn't help but picture as a sexier version of Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory) was the perfect blend of sweetness, innocence, enthusiasm, and naïveté. I lost my heart to him when he ordered his sugary Christmas beverage and referred to Regina as a "silver-tongued succubus" (succubus is a truly fabulous, but underutilized and under-appreciated word. I'm glad he understood this!). And he just got cuter from there. Honestly, I DEFY you to find a more adorable main character this Christmas season than Fielding Monroe. Nope, can't be done.

And let's not forget Mick! If there's one character I love almost as much as my innocent, virginal, dorky lamb, it's a surprisingly sweet jock who suddenly discovers not-quite-so-platonic feelings for his male best friend. How could I not fall in love with Mick after watching how sweet and nurturing he was with Fielding? The way that he recognized and celebrated all of those quirks that made Fielding Fielding just turned my heart to mush.

I also have to say that I think Easton struck the absolutely perfect balance in this novella, allowing Mick to be confused about his transition to loving Fielding without being truly angsty over it (there's no place for true angst in "my" Christmas stories!). I'm sure the ease with which he accepted his feelings is a little less than realistic, but who cares?! It kept the overall tone of the story light and FUN! The same could be said about the ending -- we all know that the epilogue was way, WAY over the top in its sheer squee-inducing perfection, but I couldn't care less. Perfection is really the only acceptable way for a holiday tale to end.

Oh! I almost forgot to give kudos to Reese Dante for the fabulous cover design! It’s got pretty colours, a touch of whimsy, and an adorable guy -- it’s the perfect cover for a flufftastic Christmas novella!

Verdict: Blame it on the Mistletoe was exactly what I needed on a snowy December night. My suggestion? Pair this novella with an indulgent holiday drink and a roaring fire for maximum happiness.