BombshellBooks

Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Cut & Run

Cut & Run - Abigail Roux, Madeleine Urban "Fuck," Ty finally muttered as they broke another heated kiss.
"Is that a comment or a request?" Zane asked breathlessly.

Quick question, dear readers: Do you have a pulse?

If the answer to that question was “yes,” then chances are you – like every other red-blooded woman in the world – find men in uniform to be incredibly sexy. In fact, my guess is that the only thing you find sexier than a man in uniform, is a man out of uniform, am I right?! Lucky for us, Cut & Run has not one, but TWO gorgeous specimens of man heating the sheets and solving murders together. *Sigh* I think I’m in lust…

The story begins when a serial killer in the Tri-State area murders the two lead FBI agents assigned to his case. Believing the killer to be one of their own, the Director of the FBI throws together two total strangers, FBI Special Agent Ty Grady and FBI Special Agent Zane Garrett, to catch the killer. An unlikely pairing, Ty’s aggressive go-from-the-gut approach immediately clashes with Zane’s more analytical nature, and my oh my it’s fun to watch the sparks fly!

Since Cut & Run was one of my first forays into the M/M genre, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from the romance angle of the novel. I mean, in a hetero romance novel the hero and heroine (both so supremely secure in their straight-ness that it never needs to be mentioned) meet, they fall in love, and get their happily ever after. Clean. Simple. Predictable. After reading thousands of books that follow this pattern, I assumed Cut & Run would make use of the same conventions (with the notable exception that the two lead characters each had a penis). But it didn’t, and I’m saddened to admit that my poor, stupid brain had a little difficulty adjusting.

When we first meet our two brooding heroes, Ty is flirting with anything in a skirt and banging stewardesses for fun, and Zane’s been married (to a woman!), yet both men are (mostly) comfortable checking out each other’s hot bods and making hilarious double entendre-filled jokes. Forgive my dumb brain, but it was like, “whaaaaat the heck is going on here?!” It wanted to put each of the characters into a neat little box and slap convenient, socially constructed labels (like “gay,” “straight,” “bisexual,” or “closeted”) on them. Because in real life I believe that people are who they are and they should be loved as such (no labels necessary), I found my desire to label the sexuality of two fictional characters bizarrely fascinating. Thankfully, my brain calmed down eventually and realized that Ty was Ty, and Zane was Zane, and those were the only labels necessary.

The one good thing about my temporary, idiotic confusion over labeling Ty and Zane’s sexuality was that it made for some delicious tension – about a third of the way through the book, I was pulled so tight with anticipation that I was practically bouncing up and down on my bed and yelling at my eReader, “For the love of all that is holy, KISS ALREADY!” When it finally happened…? SWOON. So worth the wait.

Both Ty and Zane are wonderfully intense, complex characters. Urban & Roux have given them each a difficult past and a lot of baggage, so their romantic relationship and their FBI partnership are both understandably complicated. Even so, these two were perfect together. I laughed when they laughed. I sighed when they were sweet to one another. My heart hurt when they weren’t getting along… and then rejoiced when they were back together. Pure perfection.

In fact, I pretty much loved everything about this book. In addition to the wonderful characters, I thought the authors’ writing was superb (there were a few awkward phrases and choppy scenes in the first chapter of the book, but everything smoothed out after that). The dialogue was practically flawless - Ty and Zane’s constant bickering was like extended verbal foreplay and I LOVED it. You just knew these guys were one good insult away from going at it in the sack like two jungle cats. Lastly, I thought that the mystery was really well plotted. It had enough twists and turns to keep me unsure if my hunches were correct, but not so many that when the killer was revealed I felt blindsided or cheated by not having had enough clues throughout.

Verdict: I guess you could say I’m hooked, and Ty and Zane are my drug of choice. When can I get my next fix?!