BombshellBooks

Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Their Virgin Captive

Their Virgin Captive - Shayla Black, Lexi Blake For whatever reason, I couldn’t garner much enthusiasm for this book. I mean, I’m not trying to be harsh, but it was a little like the erotica/ménage equivalent of watching paint dry.

The book revolves around three brothers – Gavin, Slade, and Dex – who run one of the most profitable oil companies in the United States. They’re all rich, handsome, assertive men who look good in a suit, and even better out of it. And it just so happens that all three brothers are head-over-heels in love with Gavin’s personal assistant, Hannah Craig, who is both flawlessly beautiful and sweet to the core (God, I hate her already).

So… three brothers, one woman. Problematic, right?! Wrong! These guys have taken the whole “sharing is caring” mantra to heart in a big way. Cars, toys, women – it’s all the same to them. But while Slade and Dex are both on board for a little family ménage, Gavin’s dark romantic past fairly paralyzes him with fear and he wants nothing to do with his feelings for Hannah. Even so, none of the brothers can resist their protective urges when they discover that Hannah is being stalked by one of her co-workers. Taking matters - and Hannah - into their many, many hands, they kidnap her and whisk her away on a private jet to Alaska. Oh yay! I was wondering when our heroine was going to get KIDNAPPED “for her own good”!! *Insert eye roll and derisive snort here.*

Unfortunately, the book didn’t get much better from there. I found Hannah to be a pretty bland character, and couldn’t for the life of me discern what it was about her that made all three brothers and multiple co-workers continually lose their minds over her. As for the guys, Gavin, Slade and Dex were all supposed to be these badass, alpha-male Doms, but their every action and word screamed “MARSHMALLOW” to me. Throughout the novel all three men take turns giving Hannah pathetic puppy dog eyes and laying on the compliments ridiculously thick. At one point Slade actually begs Hannah for something! Yes… BEGS. What Dom do you know that begs for anything?! I should clarify that it’s not that I didn’t like the male characters – they were all very, very sweet guys – but a spanker and spreader bar does not a Dom or BDSM tale make, I’m afraid.

And I know that a lot of readers found this book to be “steamy,” but I have to admit that I was a little bored in parts. Because it was well-established in the first few pages of the book that all three of the brothers loved Hannah, and that Hannah reciprocated those feelings wholeheartedly, I found that the story lacked the sexual tension and romantic build-up that I generally like in my romance/erotica. This was further compounded by how quickly and easily both sides revealed their feelings to the other. Here’s your hat, what’s your hurry!? I mean… c’mon! At least emotionally torture them a little for our amusement!

The one thing I did appreciate about this book was that when Hannah decided to take Gavin back, she made the sucker grovel. And grovel. Too many romance novels paint the heroine as a pushover in those types of moments – only allowing them a token moment of sass or indecision. This felt a little closer to the truth. Sometimes you have to work for your happily ever after, and forgiveness isn’t easy.

Verdict: Sweet, light romp, but completely forgettable.