BombshellBooks

Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Blush

Blush - Jenika Snow Blush: A Story of Dominance and Submission, revolves around Kasia, the 27-year-old “plain Jane” medical receptionist who secretly lusts after her handsome boss, Ronan Devlin. Not only is the object of Kasia’s affection a doctor, but he has an Irish accent so sexy it should be considered illegal (or, at the very least, a superpower – capable of dropping panties in a single syllable). As sexually inexperienced as she is, Kasia still yearns for something more than her current vanilla sex life. So, at the urging of her more free-spirited and adventurous friend, Tatiana, Kasia soon finds herself entering the heavy wooden doors of Cimmerian, a local BDSM club. There, she finds everything she was looking for…

Though flawed, Jenika Snow’s Blush was a smokin’ hot read. Both of the main characters were fairly well developed given the constraints of the story’s word count, and though I can’t speak for Snow’s ability to get into the mindset of a Dom, I’ll say that her ability to write from the perspective of a woman embracing her submissive nature for the first time was superb. In creating the character of Kasia, it was like Snow had laid bare all of my insecurities and tapped into all of my secret desires. It was darn near intoxicating. And the chemistry between the two main characters was so off the charts that it left me saying, "Please sir, I want some more!" after every scene.

With Cimmerian, Snow managed to create a dark, edgy space that begged for – no, demanded - the reader’s attention. It was easy to believe that these characters would meet and lose their inhibitions together inside of this world.

Now for the parts of the story that I didn't like so much:

This is the second D/s-themed short story that I’ve read by Jenika Snow and I’m starting to see a pattern emerge with her female characters. In both Blush and Bittersweet the woman interested in taking control of their sex lives and exploring their sexuality have been receptionists. No disrespect meant to receptionists, but where are the doctors? The lawyers? The CEOs? Oh wait… Snow reserves those types of fulfilling, complex, high-powered careers for her male leads. Well, I have news for Ms. Snow: It’s not the 1950s anymore - highly educated, ambitious women with good careers have fantasies and sexual tastes that run along these lines, too, you know! As a (presumably) highly trained nurse, herself, you’d think Snow would want to show a diverse range of female characters embracing the lifestyle. Okay, I’ll get off my feminist soap box now…

…and get on my ‘defender of the English language’ one instead. I know some people might feel that it’s nit-picky to point this out, but this story was riddled with spelling and grammar errors (not to mention some sentences with entirely missing words). For the love of Pete, please EDIT! And then, get a second party to edit (since editing your own work is almost never effective). Call me a book nerd, but nothing draws me out of a fantasy faster than glaring errors in an otherwise steamy scene.

Verdict: At just over 20,000 words, this story is quick and dirty (but I ain’t sayin’ it like it’s a bad thing)!