BombshellBooks

Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

Bittersweet

Bittersweet - Jenika Snow Forgive the BDSM-inspired imagery, but I went into this book blindfolded (figuratively, of course!) - I read the title, glanced at the cover, and decided that this could be a delicious way to spend an hour of "me time". What I didn't do was read a synopsis of the book beforehand. I should have read the synopsis...

The book's main character is Piper Crane, a slightly timid and sexually repressed secretary who works for one of the city's most prestigious law firms. After some good-natured cajoling from her best friend, Piper decides to take a two week vacation to a sex spa where all her deepest submissive dreams can be fulfilled. So far, so good.

As it turns out, Piper's first foray into dominance and submission goes from training wheels to a runaway train when she is selected to spend her vacation with not one, not two, but four "masters" at the same time. All prime examples of the male gender, Jake, Brendin, Logan, and Ian, just happen to be Piper's bosses at the law firm where she works (only in the world of short stories and erotica would this be even remotely plausible, but let's roll with it). There's just one more tiny detail you should know about these men: they're brothers.

Yes, brothers. Everything inside me instantly went, "ick!" I don't know about you, dear reader, but I don't find the thought of four brothers sharing a single woman (often at the same time), to be a particularly large turn-on. Rather than stop reading, however, I chose to do some mental re-writes and live in a cozy world of denial where the four men were best friends instead of brothers. Sue me.

One thing I appreciated about Bittersweet was the concept of the sex resort that Snow has developed for this novel. It's a fairly fresh idea in the genre and has a lot of potential as a setting for her future stories. And I've got to cop to the fact that the whole employee-boss dynamic is a particular favourite of mine (I find authority and power play tres sexy).

Verdict: Overall, I have to agree with some of the other reviews of this book - it was predictable, and rather tame for the D/s genre, but some of the sex scenes were hot enough to have me reaching for a second book by the same author (only after reading a synopsis, of course!).