BombshellBooks

Double Up
Vanessa North
Hard as You Can
Laura Kaye

The Guilt of The Wealthy (The Billionaire Bachelor Series Book 1)

The Guilt of The Wealthy (The Billionaire Bachelor Series Book 1) - Matt Zachary Right off the bat, I have to say that I find the title of this series pretty misleading. When I hear the term "Billionaire Bachelor" I, well, I think of billionaire bachelors. Adult billionaire bachelors - men old enough to vote and drink and enlist in the Armed Forces. Calling a kid in high school - a kid too young to have on-the-page sex in your book - a "bachelor" just feels a little skeevy. So I don't (and neither should you, Matt Zachary).

As I read the book blurb, however, it became very obvious that this was a Young Adult (YA) novel. Though there are some exceptions ([b:The Red Sheet|20619717|The Red Sheet|Mia Kerick|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1390441077s/20619717.jpg|39903794] by Mia Kerick comes to mind), I'm not generally a fan of YA. Still, I loved the jock/nerd and rich/poor tropes that teased me from the blurb, so I thought I'd press on and give The Guilt of the Wealthy a try anyway. Unfortunately this novella did nothing to change my mind about YA.

Billy (the high school jock) and Stuart's (the brilliant nerd) characters were so one-dimensional and uninteresting they may as well have been cardboard cutouts with the emotional depth of a puddle. I never managed to feel a genuine spark between the characters and so their professions of love (that came way too early in the novella to suit my personal tastes) felt flat and unrealistic. In fact, I may have rolled my eyes so hard in that moment that I strained something (of course, that may also have had something to do with the fact that five seconds prior to the big declaration, Billy had had his lips wrapped around some chick's nipples).

I also found it difficult to get past the pacing of the story. Between the sheer number of events that happened in the space of a few days, the massive life-changes and self-realizations that took place during that time, and a secondary character changing her tune from "You homo!" to "I'm happy if you're happy" within the span of 24-hours, I just couldn't deal. I think the story would have been better served cutting a few of the ideas entirely and devoting those extra pages to developing some of the other plot points more thoroughly. I think the author just needs to learn to give his characters some time to breathe.

Matters weren't helped any by truly atrocious editing. My spelling and grammar is far from perfect, but c'mon! You can't deny that nothing throws ice cold water on a barely sizzling sexy moment like a typo or the use of the wrong main character's name. For the love of all that is holy, please consider investing in beta readers, editors, and proofreaders!

I hate to say it, but I probably won't be investing any future time or money in continuing to buy and read this series.